Saint Helena has many superstitions. They have roots from several different places, including Africa.
The people of St. Helena Island speak with a dialect called Gullah. It isn't certain how that dialect got its name.
In the 1860s, a short-lived dugong industry exported dugong oil to England for medicinal purposes. Also short-lived was the quarantine station, built in 1866 by prison labour from the prison hulk "Proserpine".
The island did not receive the name "St Helena" until 1828. A story is told that an Aboriginal man known as Napoleon stole an axe on North Stradbroke Island. Like his namesake, Napoleon Bonaparte, he was exiled to another island, thereafter called St Helena. His exile lasted only as long as it took to build a canoe and paddle back.
Rains usually fall from late March to early May, with April being the height of the rainy season and again in July to September, with August being the height of the rainy season.
The four seasons are not recognised on St Helena, as there are no drastic weather patterns. The hottest months are between January and March. The coldest are between June and September.
During World War II, the UK permitted the US to construct an airfield on Ascension in support of trans-Atlantic flights to Africa and anti-submarine operations in the South Atlantic. In the 1960s the island became an important space tracking station for the US.
Saint Helena was uninhabited when first discovered by the Portuguese in 1502. It was garrisoned by the British during the 17th century.
Saint Helena was one of the many isolated islands that naturalist Charles Darwin visited during his scientific voyages in the nineteenth century. He visited the island in 1836 aboard the HMS Beagle, recording observations of the plants, animals, and geology that would shape his theory of evolution.
Saint Helena Island is perhaps best known as the place where Napoleon Bonaparte I of France was exiled following his defeat at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815; he died and was buried on the island in 1821. Later, his remains were returned to France.